Monday, September 17, 2012

Bruschetta a la Moi!

I have a confession. As much as I love food, I hate raw tomatoes. Don't get me wrong. I will eat tomatoes in marinara sauce but when it comes to having a slice of tomato on a burger or even a club sandwich, I always order it without.

However, there is one exception. And I'm not sure why.

I once saw bruschetta that for some reason, made my mouth water, raw tomatoes and all. I still have no idea why but I had to make it! To this day I can remember my husbands amazement that I was volunteering to eat raw tomatoes.


At the farmers market last week, they had organic, same day picked tomatoes that the husband said were awesome. So I got a pound and decided they would become the newest batch of bruschetta! 

Bruschetta:
a pound or so of tomatoes, preferably fresh or heirloom or both
fresh basil
salt
nice crusty loaf of bread
garlic
olive oil

Take the beautiful tomatoes that you've grown or purchased and cut them up into bite size pieces. Throw them in a bowl. Take the basil and tear it up and throw it into the bowl. Add salt. And add a bit more than you think you should. At this stage in the game, the husband is my taste tester salt wise and always advises on how much more should be added. 


Doesn't it look beautiful?? Normally the only time that I like the colors red and green together are at Christmas but when you make this, you can't help but fall in love with the colors and the smell. And neither could my cat. 


Yes, that is my foot and that is my cat Jack. I don't know if you have ever seen this funny animated movie where a rat cooks in a kitchen, well, Jack wants to cook. She wants to know what is going on up on the counter (where she is not allowed) and definitely wants to taste-test everything! 

But back to the recipe. While your tomatoes are soaking up all the salty basily goodness, take your loaf of bread and slice it up. I entrusted the husband with this task and I must say that I have never seen anyone use three knives to slice up a simple loaf of french bread. But three knives and a lot of crumbs later, this is what we had: 


We also got the bread at the farmers market. I really love having all this fresh produce around! 

In a non-stick skillet, add olive oil to coat the pan and turn it up to medium/medium-low. Once the oil is up to temp, add the slices of bread. You will have to do this in batches but its worth it, trust me. 



This is when the magic happens. I am about to give you the trick, the secret, the piece de resistance! 


Garlic! Put a clove of garlic on the end of a fork and as you are sauteing the bread, once you flip it, rub that fork of garlic over the bread! Its epic. But that is the trick. Finish up the bread until its golden brown on both sides and smells like garlic in your entire house. 

Once the bread is done, spoon the tomato basil mix onto the nice warm bread. Don't forget to add some of the juice that has accumulated in the bowl (thats my favorite part). 


Take a big bite and enjoy!! 

This is a super simple recipe but one that is a crowd pleaser every time! I gave my mom the recipe and when she went to visit some friends she made it and has had to make it every time she's been back. 

Thanks for reading and enjoy!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment